Home > My life > Big Day for the 88 Honda

Aperture
f/3.5
Exposure
1/5s
ISO
400

I’ve previously posted about the car that has transported me around most of my adult life.   We hit a big milestone yesterday — just north of Colorado Springs in the pouring rain.  I’m enough of a nerd that I pulled off I-25 at the 99,998 mile mark and drove a couple of miles along this quiet road so I could pull over and get the above photo.

Camera
E-510
Focal Length
42mm
Aperture
f/5.6
Exposure
1/30s
ISO
400

Categories: My life
  1. September 26, 2012 at 10:11 am

What is it about your life – or maybe about this car – such that you’ve only averaged about 4,000 miles/year? We average about 18k.

2. September 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

Well we do spend a lot of time in the van, too. But our commute is very short and since I no longer live amidst a collection of little tiny states like you do Back East, we do more flying for work & visits.

3. joel blau
    September 26, 2012 at 11:23 am

Bravo!, Amy: I’ve always wanted to capture these milestones on our cars (200K + on both a 1982 Toyota Tercel and last summer, on a 1996 Toyota Camry), but as you’ve pointed out, it’s harder to pull over off major highways in the East (and it’s particularly risky on the Long Island Expressway!). But your blog gives us encouragement: tomorrow we are buying a 2003 Honda with 112,000 miles on it .I also wanted to take a picture yesterday when I hit 1000 miles on the odometer of our Prius V. After 50 years of driving, I decided that once in my life, I wanted to buy a new car. The V is the larger Prius–a mini SUV or a larger hatchback, take your pick), and this one seems well suited for dual use–48 MPG on my commute from Brooklyn to Stony Brook, and then in Nova Scotia for the summer, with the backseat down, 67 cubic feet to haul seaweed for our potatoes.

4. September 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm

this is just great. I am so glad you are home now. Not still in car are you?

5. September 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm

@joel – A Honda with 112,000 miles is barely out of adolescence!

@nora – home and dry and very glad to be so!

1. December 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm