The group said it had taken the decision because it was the “best way of achieving maximum value from the limited resources available”.
No, really, this is a great idea. Let’s change perfectly legal human behavior ex post, as we say in the law biz, by refusing to treat them when this (did I mention perfectly legal?) behavior requires it, and save a boatload in hospital costs, as well.
- Injured in a car accident because you weren’t wearing a seat belt? Before we stitch up your head and set your leg, you’ll have to wait six months and take a driving safety course.
- Too many G&Ts and now your liver is shot? We’ll wait til you sober up and then treat you.
- Gout? You’ll have to spend six months on a macrobiotic diet before you can even get an appointment.
- Sports injury? Seriously, that is all your fault. Spend six months vegging on the sofa with a book like the good Lord intended, and maybe we’ll see to your torn ACL.
- Shot by a jealous spouse/lover? Probably should have thought about that before stepping out on them. Six months of counseling and we’ll be happy to help you with that gun shot wound.
And the great thing, costsavingswise, is that most of the time, you’ll be dead by the time you are eligible for treatment, which is a huge savings.